I get asked all the time when I go to various functions “what’s the best thing I can do for this?” followed then by a grabbing of their gut. Most of the time I respond with little tip bits that most people already know what they can do, and then tell them if they really want to shift it then they need to book in with me 😉
What I’m going to do here is give you 5 very easy to follow steps that you may not have thought about that will help you lose weight.
- Drink more water! By drinking more water you actually give your body means by which to get rid of fat and weight. The more you can give your body water the more it will thank you. Water is one of those things that we massively take for granted, it’s involved in so many processes in the body from digestion and cellular health to providing protection for your brain. The more water you feed your body the less your body will be fighting to hold onto water (retention) and the result is that you lose weight.
- Avoid processed foods. Processed food is basically any food which has more than 3 ingredients. Questions to ask yourself when buying food are, is it natural? Are there less than 3-5 ingredients? Has it come from the land? Did it grow, walk or swim? If the answer to the questions is yes then it’s good to go. If you answer no then that particular food is not going to help you lose weight. I’m not talking about meals here, I make up meals with several ingredients, but when you look at the individual component of the meal are they single ingredient foods? The benefit of single ingredient foods is that they contain enzymes which make them go off, those enzymes help your body with digestion and place less demand on the system. Less stress in the system is going to help you lose weight and fat.
- Sleep more. An underrated part of life, sleep is so important I cannot emphasise this enough. Findings of a study released in 2004 at the annual scientific meeting of North American Society for the study of obesity found that subject with 5 hours a night or less sleep had a 73% increased likelihood of obesity compared to those getting 7-9 hours sleep. There is nothing wrong with power napping, there is nothing wrong with going to bed at 9pm to be up by 6am. Sleep is a whole blog post by its self in terms of what to do in order to sleep better and how to prep your body for sleep. But here are the nuts and bolts of it. Start prepping for sleep at least an hour before you want to be asleep, do not watch the news or horror films or anything action based including sports before bed. Do not have your phone in your face, do not have your laptop or tablet in your face and hour before sleeping. Starting turning off lights and making rooms darker finally do not put the TV on in the bedroom. The more you can sleep the better you can recover and reduce stress the more you reduce stress the more you lose weight and fat.
- Set proper goals. It’s no good saying I just want to lose a bit of weight, you need to have a specific amount of weight to lose and a time line to do it by. There are 2 methods that I love to use for goal setting S.M.A.R.T (specific, measured, achievable, realistic/recorded, time lined) or the V2MOM (vision, value, method, obstacles, measured). Having a properly defined goal ensures that you have steps to take on your weight loss or fat loss journey. When you have defined goals you can have a defined plan, when you have a plan you can fail. “Failure to plan, is planning to fail” It’s take me a few years to get into that habit but now I have, I love it! Proper goals and proper plans mean that you will lose weight and fat, you may need to get a professional in to help you with this but I cannot stress how important this phase is for weight and fat loss.
- Be consistent. The best weapon you have for weight and fat loss is consistency, without getting too technical giving your body a regular intake of food means that your metabolism wont speed up and slow down. It will remain regular, your body will burn less when you eat less and burn more when you eat more. Eating when you’re hungry is a great thing to do, starving yourself will not help you lose body fat! It will actually make you lose fat burning tissue, muscle. As a bare minimum you have to have breakfast, lunch and dinner every day doing this will be a great start with high quality food. Skipping meals wont help you lose weight all it will do is slow down your metabolism and ability to burn fat and lose weight.
Weight loss isn’t hard, in terms of the body without the mind its actually quite easy. What can slow you down is the brain, social function, not prioritising yourself over others, and eating the wrong kind of foods. I want you to notice that not once have I mention calorie counting! Not once did I mention exercise!
For more details on losing weight specifically to you then contact me through the contact page or email me direct on email@example.com